Popcorn is a hugely popular snack and is a snack that has become married to our movie culture, it also has ancient roots dating back thousands of years, this treasured snack is popular not only here in the United States but all over the world as well. But which country consumes the most popcorn? Read on to find out the number one popcorn consuming country in the world.
The Top Consumers of Popcorn
It is hardly surprising that The U.S consumes the most popcorn, of all the nations in the world. It is also worth noting that the United States is also the country that grows the most popcorn with the mid-states contributing largely to this haul.
In America, the annual consumption of popcorn is estimated at 16 billion quarts of popped popcorn. Mostly popcorn is consumed in the fall. People have different preferences when it come to eating popcorn, some like simple buttered popcorn while others prefer gourmet treats and so on.
Popcorn has always been a part of the America’s way before the earliest explorer’s arrived, archaeologists have unearthed popcorn kernels estimated to be about five thousand years old during excavations at a site in New Mexico.
Type of Popcorn Consumed
How you choose to eat your popcorn is only limited by your imagination, there are reports that colonists in America loved this snack so much that they poured milk in it to take as breakfast.
Below is a list of some of the most popular ways popcorn is prepared and served:
Flavored popcorn, shaped popcorn, spicy popcorn, cheese flavored popcorn, chocolate flavored, colored popcorn, coated and shaped popcorn. Popcorn can also be consumed in mixtures with nuts, fruits, among other things.
Important Popcorn Facts
– The advent of Microwave popcorn turned popcorn into a very competitive snack equal to other available snacks.
– Street vendors popularized the snack by selling popcorn during the Great Depression when popcorn was one of the few available snacks.
– The introduction of popcorn at ball parks and movie theaters made it grow in popularity in the 1800’s.
– The popcorn popper or machine was invented by Charles Cretors in 1995.
– Flavors used in 1800’s for flavoring popcorn included sugar, rose, molasses and honey.
– Popcorn balls became a popular treat in the 1900’s.
– Popcorn sales around the world continues to increase every year.
Now that we have covered so much about popcorn, and you know how often it is consumed and who is doing the eating, i bet you do want to go get some for yourself!